SOOOOOOOO it’s been a while. I get that blogging is not a two-way street, so I’ll just say it: my bad. I do enjoy documenting and sharing my makes on here, and I have actually been sewing. I just haven’t really been that excited to share anything. I’m hoping that will change as I take a more organized approach to my wardrobe plans (more on that to come).
To tie up some loose ends, first, I’ll recap what happened with my May challenges. Jeesh, is it really August already???!?!?!?!!
First: wearing two handmade items per day (not pajamas). This proved to be genuinely difficult. Mostly, it was due to my lack of appropriate clothing. Even though I’ve been sewing for a few years now, I have only really been making “presentable” clothing for the last year. (2014 Henna would never have imagined she’d be sewing her own formal wear.) Naturally, there are gaps in my handmade wardrobe – especially in the work-appropriate attire department. On the days I wore me-mades, I basically repeated the same few looks. I gotta work on that. It was so embarrassing that I didn’t even take any selfies. Thanks, Me Made May, you were a real eye-opener!
Second: sewing 31 yards in 31 days. Boy, what was I thinking? I probably could have done it if I had planned it out and prepared like a marathon runner, but that is not what I did. I just kind of made whatever seemed like fun at the time, regardless of the yards per project ratio. I misplaced my notes, but I think I sewed 17 yards. That’s more than half-way, so I’m just going to count it as a win and let myself off easy. It’s nice when you are your own judge and jury.
I know I got hung up on my Rigel bomber jacket, which ended up taking a week and involving totally unnecessary seam binding that was covered up with a last-minute lining. Here are some Instagram shots of the things I made:
Top: Sewaholic Fraser Sweatshirt/Simplicity S8124 top Middle: Papercut Rigel Bomber Jacket/Sewaholic Fraser Sweatshirt and McCall’s M6659 PJ pants Bottom: Sewaholic Fraser Sweatshirt and McCall’s M4116 Turban/ T-shirt pattern from Sew U Home Stretch
That bomber jacket needs its own photoshoot once I make the matching pants to go with it (and once it cools down enough to permit a jacket photo shoot). And wow, I have made all of the views of the Sewaholic Fraser. It’s a cool pattern, though, I love all the variations. It’s going back on my to-do list for F/W sewing.
As daunting as it was, I might try to challenge myself like that again. I did learn a few things. For one, I realized that I have very few TNT patterns. This meant that I either had to muslin for fit or sew something forgiving. It’s pretty obvious that I opted to go with the latter. Knits, man. I love ’em. (All of the Fraser Sweatshirts are starting to make sense.)
Now that I don’t have a deadline, I’m learning to embrace muslins more. I have sacrificed way too many pretty fabrics to poor fit. Hopefully once I’ve altered a few patterns I’ll get the hang of it and it won’t seem so daunting. Next up I’ll be sharing some swimsuits and a summer dress, both of which involved a few muslins. Stay tuned!